Google Apps Script is very versatile. Here are some examples of things you can do with Google Apps Script":
- Build custom functions in a Google Spreadsheet
- Extend certain Google Apps products by creating custom menus linked to scripts
- Create and publish web applications, which can run on their own or embedded within a Google Site
- Schedule tasks like report creation and distribution and run them on a custom schedule
- Automate workflows such as document or expense approvals, order fulfillment, time-tracking, and more
Create a new Google Spreadhseet. Open the menu "Tools" > "Script Manager...". Click on New...
Close the script, go back to the spreasheet. You can now use your new function